- MLBPA BASEBALL -
- FULL DOCS -
TABLE Of CONTENTS
Teammates/Head to head..................................12
The field of play.......................................13
Pausing the game........................................14
The Options screen......................................15
Return to game................................15
Starting Player Stats...............16
Rearranging the Batting Order.......16
Sending in Players from the Bench...17
Other Scores Today............................19
User COntrol Roster...........................20
Catching a Ball...............................24
Diving and Jumping Catches....................24
Running to a base/run down plays..............25
Throw Pitch A(also see Pitch types below)
Position pitcher on mound Control Pad Left/Right
Fast ball A + Control Pad down
Sinker A + Control Pad up
Curve to left A + Control Pad Left
Curve to right A + Control Pad Right
PICK OFF PLAY
Pick off throw to first B + Control Pad Right
Pick off throw to second B + Control Pad Up
Pick off throw to third B + Control Pad Left
Throwing to a Base
Throw to first A + Control Pad Right
Throw to second A + Control Pad UP
Throw to third A + Control Pad Left
Throw to home A + Control Pad Down
Throw to cutoff man A
A + Control Pad in the direction you want to dive
Press A without using the Control Pad.
RUNNING TO A BASE (Run Down)
Run toward first B + Control Pad Right
Run Toward third B + Control Pad Left
Run toward Second B + Control Pad Up
Run toward home B + Control Pad Down
Changing Fielder Control
Switch control to fielder
nearest a ball B
Full swing A (press and hold)
Checked swing A (tap)
Bunt X (press and hold)
Run towards first B + Control Pad Right
Run towards third B + control Pad Left
Run towards second B + control PAd Up
Run Towards home B + Control Pad Down
NOTE: Runners automatically circle the bases after a home run, butt
don't run for extra bases.
Run Back (return to previous Base)
Run toward first A + Control PAd Right
Run Toward Third A + control Pad Left
Run toward second A + control Pad UP
MLBPA Baseball consists of two leagues, each of which are divided into EAST
and WEST divisions:
Detroit Kansas City
New York Oakland
New York Houston
Philadelphia Los Angeles
Pittsburgh San Diego
St. Louis San Francisco
There are four Game Modes: one game, league playoff, the series, and full
* To start a Game Mode, press the control pad UP/DOWN and press
One Game is a single game between two teams. It is not part of a regular
season or playoff series. One Game play can be between any two teams,
regardless of what league or division they are in. A team can even play
One Game options
* Home Team: press the control Pad LEFT/RIGHT to scroll through teams.
* Visiting Team: press the control Pad LEFT/RIGHT to scroll through teams.
* Designated Hitter: replacesyour pitcher in the batting order with
another batter. Press the Control Pad LEFT/RIGHT to turn Designated
* Field Type: press the control pad LEFT/RIGHT to select grass or turf.
* Press START to exit te one game option screen and play ball.
* Press X to cancel and return to the game mode screen.
League Playoffs are a best of 7 games series between the divisional champions
in both leagues. The winner of a league playoffs series goes on to the
Play To Date
You can play one or more days of the league playoffs, or through the entire
League Playoffs to the series, with the play to date option.
1. Press the left or right button to highlight the date at the top of the
screen. A selector box appears around the current date on the screen
calendar in the upper section of the screen.
2. press the control pad UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT to change the date. (if
you advance the date for enough, team names will be replaced by A
Champs and N champs, which means you will played through the
3. To play the season through to the new date, press Y. This will change the
4. Press the left or right button to move the selector box around the
games for that day. Highlight the game(s) you want to play and press B.
PLAYOFF TEAM SELECTION
THere are four teams in League Playoffs: The A League Eastern and Western
Division champions (shown on your screen as A EAST and A WEST), and the N
League Eastern and Western Division champions (N East and N West). When
you choose League Playoff, four teams are chosen at random as divisional
1. If you want to proceed into the playoffs with the randomly chosen
teams, press START.
2. If you want to select different teams for the playoffs, press the Control
Pad UP/DOWN to highlight a division.
3. Press the Control Pad LEFT/RIGHT to scroll through the other teams in the
division. Change any other divisional champions in this same manner.
4. When you have chosen the divisinal champions you want, press START.
5. To leave the team selection screen without starting a playoff series,
STARTING A PLAYOFF GAME
1. Press the control pad LEFT/RIGHT to highlight the playoff game you want
2. Press B to mark (or select) that game. IF you want to play the other
playoff game that day as well, highlight it and press B again to mark it.
3. Press START to start playing the playoff games you have marked.
The series is the best-of-seven-game championship playoffs between the A
and N league champions in MLBPA baseball. When you choose The Series, one
team from each league is chosen at random as league champion.
* To leave the series without playing a Series game, press X.
Series Team Selection
* Follow the team selecton procedures for Playoff Team selecton.
Full season sets up a complete MLBPA Baseball season. You can either play
out the full season game by game or in sections (a day at a time, a week at
a time, etc.). League playoffs follow the conclusion of a full season, and the
Series follows the League Playoffs.
* To leave the FUll Season screen without playing a full season, press X.
Play A Single Game In A Full Season
1. Press the control pad UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT to highlight the games you
want to play.
2. Press B to mark (or select) the game. A baseball appears in the box by
the marked game.
3. Press START to begin playing the marked game
Play Multiple Games In a Full Season
* Follow the instructions for playing a single game in a FUll season
above, but mark all the games you want to play on a particular game day.
Play to Date
1. press the LEFT or RIGHT Button, to highlight the date on top of the screen.
A selector box appears around the current date on the season calendar in the
upper section of the screen.
2. Press the control pad Up/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT to change the date.
3. To play the season to the new date, press Y. To see the new league
standings, press A. To leave the calendar and return to the game selection
portion of the screen, press the LEFT or RIGHT Button.
4. To play selected game(s), press START. If you want to return to the
game select screen, press X. (NOTE: if you press X, you must restart the
season or use a password to restore a season.)
* At the play to date screen, press A to see the current league standings.
* Press B or press COntrol pad Up/DOWN to see standings for the
* To leave the league standings screen, press START.
Getting A password
1. At the play to date screen, press A to bring up the League Standings.
2. Press A to get a Password. Copy down passwords carefully. You cannot
restore a season withour a correct password. (see the retore season
section immediately following.)
If a team wins its division at the end of a full season, it advances to the
Restore Season resumes a partially completed season or playoff at any point.
To resume a season to a certain date, you must have a password you received
during previous play.
1. Press the Control Pad UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT to highlight a letter.
2. Press B to select a letter; press A to erase a letter. To erase more than
one letter, press A repeatedly.
3. Press START to enter a password. If the password is valid, the season is
restored. If the password is invalid, you return to the game options screen.
4. To leave the restore season screen without entering a password, press
After you have chosen a Game Mode, Game Mode Options, and Teams, the
Side Selection screen appears. You choose which team each Player controls.
from this screen. The home team appears on the right side of the selection
screen and the visitors are on the left side.
A numbered controller icon appears in the middle of the screen for each
controller you have plugged in. If a corresponding numbered controller icon
does not appear for one of your controllers, check to see if the controller is
plugged in securely.
* Press each control pad LEFT/RIGHT to put its corresponding numbered
icon under either the home or away team.
* When you have chosen which team each player controls, press START.
Make sure you have assigned each numbered controller icon to one of
the teams; if an icon remains in the middle of the screen when you press
START, the corresponding controller will not function during the
* You can also "lock" a controller onto a team when the controller icon is
under a team name by pressing B. Once all controllers are locked to a team
press B again advance to the Roster screen.
THE FIELD OF PLAY
When a batter is up and the ball is not in play, a diagram of the infield
appears in the lower corner of the screen opposite the batter. If the
batter is left handed, the diagram is in the left corner, if he is right handed
the diagram is in the right corner.
When the ball is in play, a diagram of the entire field appears in the lower
corner of the screen opposite the batter (left corner if he is a lefty, right
corner if he is a righty).
Batter, baserunners, and fielders are marked by dots on the field diagram,
except for fielders under the direct control of a player while the ball is in
play, who are marked by crosses. Batters, baserunners, and fielders under
Automatic Control are marked by blue diamonds. (see Automatic Control
section on page 21.)
PLayers on the field are colour coded according to who controls them:
PLAYER 1 - YELLOW
PLAYER 2 - LIGHT BLUE
PLayers on the field under the control of the Super NES appear as dark dots.
While a pitcher is pitching to a batter, the count appears in the corner of the
screen (in the left corner if a right handed batter is up, in the right corner
if the batter is left handed).
S stands for strikes, B for balls, and O for outs. The count in each category is
represented by baseball icons. (for example, S followed by two icons means
PAUSING ThE GAME
Between pitches, you can pause the game and view the Options Screen and
current line score.
* Press START to pause the game. Press START again to resume gamsplay.
1. Press START to call up the options Screen.
2. To select an Option, press the Control Pad UP/DOWN to move the
highlight bar. When the option you want is highlighted, press A.
Return to game
Leave the option screen and return to the game.
The Roster screen shows you the names of players on the field at each
position; your batting order; and the names, position, batting averages, and
ERAs, home runs (HR), and stolen bases (SB) of your players on the bench.
From the Roster screen, you can look at the stats of your starting players,
rearrange your batting order before a game starts, reassign players on the
field, and send players on the bench into the game.
Starting Player Stats.
1. To see a players stat, press the control pad UP/DOWN to highlight his
2. Look at the stats bar at the top of the screen. The highlighted player's
name appears, along with his handedness and stats.
3. A player's handedness appears in the column marked either B or T;B
stands for bats and T stands for throws. L for left or R for right appears
4. If a player is a pitcher, his Earned Run Average (ERA) appears. If the
player is not a pitcher, his stats are Batting Average (AVG), HR, and SB.
Rearranging The Batting Order
1. Press the Control Pad LEFT/RIGHT, or press the LEFT or RIGHT button,
until the selection box is around the batting order in the lower left of
2. Press the control pad UP/DOWN to move the highlight bar to the name
of one of the players you want to reposition in the batting order.
3. Press B to select the highlighted player; a baseball appears by his name
when he has been selected. To cancel a player selection, press B again
while the player is highlighted.
4. Press the control pad UP/DOWN to highlight the place in the batting
order where you want to reposition the selected player.
5. Press B; the selected player changes place with the player already in
NOTE: You can only change the batting order at the start of a game.
1. Press the Control Pad UP/DOWN to move the highlight bar around the
2. When the highlight bar is on a player you want to assign to a different
position on the field (for instance, moving him from shortstop to third
base), press B to select him. A spinning baseball appears beside his name.
3. Press the Control Pad UP/DOWN until the highlight bar is over the name
of the other player you want to trade positions with. Press B and the
selected player trades fielding assignments with the highlighted player.
Sending In Players From The Bench
1. Press the Control Pad LEFT/RIGHT, or press the LEFT or RIGHT button,
until the selected box is around the roster of players on the bench in the
lower right corner of the screen.
2. Press the control Pad UP/DOWN to move the highlight bar to the name
of the player you want to send into the lineup.
3. Press B to select that player; a spinning baseball appears by his name
when he has been selected. (press B again to deselect a player.)
4. Press the Control Pad LEFT, or press the LEFT Button, to move the
selection box to the batting order. Press the Control pad UP/DOWn to
move the highlight bar to the player you want to replace.
5. PRess B to replace the player in the batting order with the selected
player from the bench.
* To leave the Roster screen, press START.
To perform a double switch, substitute the new pitcher and another player
from the bench into the batting order. Then, go to the field diagram and
makes the appropriate position switch.
View the most recent play. When Instant Replay is active, the game "rewinds"
to the beginnnig of the last play and pauses. A diagram of the controller
buttons and a timer appear in the lower left of the screen. While an instant
replay is in progress, the timer displays the passage of time.
Instant Replay controls are:
Fast Forward A
Forward at normal speed B
Forward a single frame X
* To leave Instant Replay mode and return to the Options Screen, press START.
From the Defensive Positioning screen, you can reposition your fielders to
respond to specific game situations. There are six Defensive Positioning
options, all of which are displayed on this screen.
Normal: Standard defensive positioning.
Double Play Depth: Set the second baseman and shortstop for a double play.
Bunt Defense: First and third baseman play close in to charge the ball in
case there's a bunt attempt.
Gaurd The Lines: First and third baseman play near the lines to protect
against hits for extra bases.
All In: all fielders play in to protect a slim lead if there's a runner on
Infield In: Bring infield in when there is runner at first, fewer than two
outs, and you are trailing by less than three runs.
To Select A Defensive Position:
1. Press the Control Pad UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT to highlight the Defensive
position you want.
2. Press A to select the highlighted position.
Other Scores Today
Check scores in other games around the league. In league playoff and series
modes, this option updates you on the won-loss records in the best of seven
game series. This option is not available in One game mode.
Check current standings and get passwords. (see the League Standings
section on page 12 for more info.) Not available in One Game, League
playoff, or series modes.
Check upcoming game days in the schedule and other scores on the same
To see the upcoming schedule:
1. Pres the LEFT or RIGHT Button to highlight the date at the top of the
2. Press the control Pad RIGHT to advance through the schedule day by day.
Press the ControlPAd LEFT to go back through the schedule.
3. Press START leave the Season schedule screen and return to the
This option is not available in single game mode.
USER CONTROL ROSTER
Switch between player and automatic control. (see automatic Controls section
below for more info.)
Defensive control, offensive control, or both, over any or all players on the
field can be held by players or turned over to your super nes.
When you first begin a game of MLBPA Baseball, offensive and defensive play
is player controlled. Control can be shifted back and forth on the User Control
Roster Screen, which appears at the beginning of a game and can be accessed
during a game from the options screen.
When the user control Options screen appears:
1. Press the control pad UP/DOWN to highlight a player. The "F" in the
column to the right of player stands for fielding; the "B" in this column
stands for batting. When F and B are both in the columns marked 1p or 2p,
fielding and batting are both under player control.
2. Press B to put the highlighted players batting under computer control.
Batting control is transferred to the super nes, indicated by a "b"
moving from the player column to the column marked CM. To shift an entire
teams batting control, press Left or Right Button.
3. Press B twice to put the highlighted players fielding and batting under
Super nes's control. Fielding and batting control is transferred to the
Super nes, indicated by the "F" and "B" moving from the player's
column to the column marked CM. When a fielder is under a players
control, a star appears by his name on the field diagram. When a fielder
is under Super NES control, there is no star by his name.
4. To transfer batting or fielding control from the Super nes back to a
player, press B until "B" and "F" move from column marked CM
back to the players column.
To position your pitcher, press control PAd LEFt/RIGHT. You can position a
pitcher only before he goes into his windup.
* To throw a pitch, press A.
After each strike that is not hit, the umpires call and the speed of the pitch
appear in the middle of the screen.
There are three types of pitches in MLBPA Baseball: Fast ball, sinkers, and
curve balls. You pick the type of pitch you throw as you throw it.
* To throw a fast ball, press A + control Pad DOWN.
* To throw a sinker, press A + control PAd UP.
* To throw a curve ball left, press A + Control Pad LEFT.
* To throw a curve ball right, press A + Control Pad Right.
No matter what type of pitch you throw, its effectiveness is affected by a
number of factors, such as the pitcher's position on the mound, how hard the
pitcher can throw, the pitchers control, and the pitchers fatigue. (A pitcher
often shows signs of fatigue after 4 innings on the mound.)
Keep an eye on the diagram of the infield to look for baserunners taking
big leads. If they look like they are getting too far off base, you can try
a pickoff play.
* To throw a pick off to first, press B + control Pad Right.
* To throw a pick off to second, press B + control pad UP.
* To throw a pick off to third, press B + control pad LEFT.
When a batter comes to the plate for the first time in a game, his name,
batting average (AVG), home runs (HR), and runs batted in (RBI) appear near
the bottom of screen. Each subsequent at bat will show the results from the
player's previous at bat. When the batter's name is gone, the pitcher will
begin to throw to the batter.
* Press the Control Pad UP/DOWN/LEFt/RIGHT to position the batter at the
* To take a full swing at a pitch, press and hold A.
* To check swing, tap A.
* To Bunt, press and hold X.
Batters who make contact with the ball automatically run toward first base,
But baserunners wont try for extra bases unless you direct them to. Men on
base try to advance on line drives and high pop flies, but they wont return to
base until you direct them to.
To run forward on the base paths:
* To run to second base, press B + control pad UP.
* To run to the third base, press B + Control Pad LEFT to run to third base.
* To run to home plate, press B + Control Pad DOWN to run to home plate.
To run back on the base paths:
* To run back to first base, press A + Control Pad RIGHT.
* To run back to second base, press A + Control Pad UP.
* To run back to third base, press A + Control Pad LEFT.
When fielding is in automatic mode, fielders automatically track and attempt to
catch, but throwing the ball is under player control. When fielding is under
player control, fielders must be directed to catch and where to throw. If you
are controlling the fielder, use the diagram to direct your fielder towards
Catching A Ball in Play
When the ball is in play, but before it has been caught, yellow crosshairs
appear on the field where the ball will come down; on the diagram of the
field, a yellow X appears in this spot.
Diving and Jumping Catches
Some hits, such as line drives and hard grounders, are not as easy to catch
as fly balls. You can also catch a ball in the air or on the ground by making
a diving or jumping catch.
* To make a diving catch, press A + Control Pad in the direction you want
the fielder to dive.
* To make a jumping catch, press A when the ball is passing directly over
To throw, press the Control Pad in the direction of the target base and press A.
Remember, even when your team's defensive play is controlled by the Super Nes,
you must direct fielders throws.
* To throw to first, press A + Control Pad RIGHT.
* To throw to second, press A + Control Pad UP.
* To throw to third, press A + Control Pad LEFT.
* To throw to home, press A + Control Pad DOWN.
* To throw to a cutoff man, press A.
RUNNING TO A BASE/RUN DOWN PLAYS
If a base is not being covered by another fielder, or if a base runner is
caught in a run down, the fielder who catches the ball may need to run to
that base rather than throw to it, or run down the base runner and tag him.
* To run towards first base, press B + control pad RIGHT.
* To run towards second base, press B + control pad UP.
* To run towards third base, press B + control pad LEFT.
* To run towards home plate, press B + control pad DOWN.
* To run in any direction, press the control pad in the direction you
want to run.
SWITCHING TO THE FIELDER NEAREST THE BALL
Sometimes, you may want to select a specific fielder to make a play. This
situation may arise when you want a fielder to make a jumping or diving catch.
* To select the fielder nearest the ball, press B.
NOTE: If you do not move your player with the control pad once he is selected,
he wont move towards the ball.
Game Design: Michael Kosaka, Happy Keller, and Scott Orr
Lead Programmer: Tim Meekins
Additional Programming: Scott PAtterson
Executive Producer: Scott Orr
Director: Happy Keller
Associate Producers: Mike Rubinelli, Randy Delucchi
Graphics: Dean Lee, Ray wong, Heather Snitzer
Sound and Music: Brian Schmitt
Technical Director: Rob Harris
Product Manager: Chip Lange
Package Design: E.J. Sarraille
Package Photo: Steve Babineau
PAckage Art Direction: Nancy Waisanen
Documentation: Michael "Three Finger" Humes
Documentation: Layout: Jennie Maruyama
Product Testing: William Schmitt, Steve Imes, John Vilandre,
Greg Kawamura, Mike Caldwell
Quality Assurance: Erik Whiteford
Special Thanks: Greg Thomas, Kyra Woody Pehrson (& PREMIERE ofcourse!) :)